Gap in flue

Last Edited By Krjb Donovan
Last Updated: Mar 13, 2014 03:11 PM GMT


QUESTION: I recently purchased a home with an older fireplace with a gap in the flue above the firebox. Is this something I can repair myself and what product would I need to use? thank you

ANSWER: they sell a fireplace mortar in a caulk tube you can use, just be sure it is cleaned of all lose cement and then pushed in as fas as you can get it into the old gap. should be easy

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you for your previous response. I just wanted to follow-up to be sure because I failed to mention this is a metal firebox and a metal flue, will the fireplace mortar work on metals or different materials?


Welcome back Michele, that is a "prefab" and you can not use that cement on it, you can replace the panels (if you can find them) or use after market, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have they should be able to help.


©2024 eLuminary LLC. All rights reserved.