Huge puddle then no starter motor

Last Edited By Krjb Donovan
Last Updated: Mar 11, 2014 07:48 PM GMT

Question

My daughter drove my car thru some huge puddles last night and it died. There is a loud click when we turn the key and the battery is fine, but it won't turn over.

Answer

Hi Lynn, the starter motor is on the underside of the engine typically. It may well be that the starter motor got soaked and will have to dry out. So let it sit for a day and see if that cures the problem. The loud click is the switch that closes and send current to the starter motor but the motor itself is not responding. So I imagine there is poor connection between the brushes and the commutator inside the motor due to the presence of water/water vapor. Let it sit and then try it later in the day or tomorrow. Please 'rate' my answer (see below). Thanks, Roland

Advertisement

©2017 eLuminary LLC. All rights reserved.